Skip to main content

The last time my heart danced

We entered, pulling our luggage behind us. I was back at my alma-mater. Be it just for a couple of days, but I was there. I could see my heart running ahead of me. I was signing at the gate, to mark my entry and my eyes were already searching for familiar names on the list. Oh! And my nose could smell the parathas that were to be cooked that night!
I could feel heaven again!


But only this time, I wasn’t the same anymore. I had changed. I seemed to have suddenly grown older, what’s called maturity had taken over the innocent joy that prevailed. The very places which were reminding me of myself just a few months ago, were also making me realize what had become of me. I couldn’t get myself to be the same again. I was excited, but not quite. I was happy, but not quite. I went ahead and met my friends. We were all the same, yet so different now. We spoke a different language all together. Our multi-lingual background never mattered much to us; we used to learn from each other. Now, all of a sudden, we had had enough of learning. Friends had become colleagues, chit-chatting had become business-like, the very atmosphere had changed.


Then came the cultural night. I enjoyed myself thoroughly!...or so I thought I would, but again, didn’t quite. The DJ! That’s where am gonna let out all my tensions and be fine again! But that was not to be. The DJ bored me! I just gave up and retired to bed. “Campus is not the same anymore”, we said. But the truth is, it’s we who had changed.

Back at home, the usual schedule started again. Breakfast, rush to office, meet deadlines, come back home tired, finish some pending stuff, sleep. Sunny day, wear a cap. Rainy day, take an umbrella. The other stuff remained much the same. Routines always are such! Boring! Huh!
But there was something that kept nagging me at the back of my mind still. Something I couldn’t figure. Something that just said…”Something’s wrong”. My mind wasn’t at peace. My heart was mum. It was raining outside and I was watching TV. My eyes were frozen and my mind elsewhere. My heart was as though it just didn’t exist.

And then a song woke me up from my trans. I couldn’t see for a while what was in it that got me attracted to it all the time! It was just a couple enjoying the rain. They were simply moving around and it was pouring…just the way I used to…… and then it occurred to me. My heart now spoke, reminded of the days when I used to play and get drenched, with no one to care about… Not long ago, when we weren’t into the jungle yet, when things had not changed,

When it was ....The last time my heart danced....

Comments

Poornima said…
Now this is a compelling piece of work.

Popular posts from this blog

The Promise

I promise not to speak I promise to stay quiet and listen To every word pronounced And stay a kitten. I promise to help you I promise to stay I promise to wait For more than a day. Take your time And take mine too For the love we have Very few do. Take me to parties Take me to your friends’ Smile I shall From both ears’ ends. Be the good one, I will. Less talk, sweet smile Looks that can kill. The brand manager Of today’s man. Thy spouse Thy fan. Speak as I will Only on occasions that mandate Speak as I will Only on that particular date. I promise to be by your side In every endeavor. That I abide. But please, do me a favor. Don’t ask me to speak For I shall not. Never after you told me not to Never after we fought.

In the Mariana Trench lives a kid...

Deep within every individual lives a kid, an innocent child, in his/her most beautiful form. It is this child's manifestation that we see getting expressed every now and then when we see people around us getting into a euphoric state over seemingly minor issues.. We see so many grown-ups acting in a childish or child-like manner. We don't, though, see it happening with everyone; and ofcourse, not all the time. Does this mean it is only in some that this child-like behaviour prevails? Not at all! It is important to understand that the reason for the lack of child-like behaviour in many is not to be attributed to its absence but to its suppression (which is not always intentional). I am sure most will agree with me when i say this. How many amongst our friends and acquaintances through the years would we have met who make us think of how child-like they behave very often? How many have we come across who we saw carrying themselves in such a sophisticated matured way who at some r

3 Idiots

A mixture of Chetan Bhaghat’s Five Point Someone and Richard Bach’s Jonathan Livingston Seagull , the movie dwells around a college rebel, who just sees things differently from the others and hence becomes something like an outcast; just that, in the modern world, some find it amusing and hence join hands with him in his acts. Of course, these are not really encouraged by the money-minded (no offense) parents, who have been brought up in such a society, whose upbringing and the so-called society has taught them that money is everything in life. The ultimate goal, and the destiny, and any other synonym you can find for it. The first half of the movie is basically “(A boy’s) Life at a Top Engineering College”, with all necessary details of a common student’s behavior in the dorms and the classrooms and outside. It talks about all the pressure kinds – faculty, peer, parents, ragging and stuff. Just like the novel, these incidents are also not given in unnecessary detail, but given in jus